GET STARTED NOW!
Whether attending your first Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, or Capoeira class, new students often share many of the same questions and experiences. We’ll try to address several of them here to ensure you have the best first class possible.
- An introduction to the Fairfax Jiu Jitsu team! From the moment you step through our door, our goal is to make sure that you feel welcome at our Academy. We’ve devoted a considerable amount of time and energy into building a great team and training atmosphere. You’ll be greeted by a member of our staff who will meet with you and talk to you about your goals and what brought you to us. You will fill out a waiver and be taken on a walk-through tour of our facility, introduced to the program instructor, and then we’ll get you started so that you can take a free trial class immediately.
- The key to a great time? – Relax! Unless you’ve trained in combat sports before, to the average person the first class can seem like an unrelenting wave of new techniques, odd lingo, and if that weren’t bad enough, everyone in the class is better than you! How is that supposed to be fun? – The key is your ATTITUDE. If you relax, listen to your instructor, and just accept that this is a part of beginning a new experience, you’ll find that training at Fairfax Jiu Jitsu will be as rewarding as it is challenging.
- What equipment do I need? “Do I need to buy a gi before I come to class? Boxing Gloves? etc.” – all commonly asked questions and the short answer is: The only thing you will require for your first trial class will be a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. That said, if you are coming to a Muay Thai class and have a mouth guard and/or groin protection, it would be good to bring them for added safety. After your trial class, please talk to your instructor regarding the gear required for the program and we’ll be happy to advise you.
- I’m sore in places I didn’t even know existed! Combat sports are the original full body workout! With the dynamic mix of aerobic and explosive energy and resistance of grappling, bag work, pad work etc, you can find yourself pretty sore the next day if you’re not careful. We advise all students to pace themselves during their trial class. No one knows your own limits like yourself, so use your best judgment so that you stay healthy and return to class.
- What’s next? Thank you. Just thinking about what comes next, is a sign that we’ve made a good impression on you and you’re interested in learning more and continuing your training with Fairfax Jiu Jitsu Academy. After your free trial class a staff member will sit down with you and go over all our many options, explore the full schedule, cover any New Student Specials this month, answer any additional questions, and get you onto the next steps in your martial arts journey. Can’t wait to have you on the mat! Click the “Get Started” button below!